When you are almost getting your baby, there are a lot you require to put in place. And sometimes, assembling all necessities for a newborn can be pretty challenging. However, you can easily discover what you will require during the first three months of welcoming your newborn with a newborn checklist.
Newborns usually need a lot of necessities, such as helpful gear when you are indoors or outdoors, bath essentials, diapering, feeding, clothing, and nursery. This article will take you through must-have products for a newborn to a one-year-old baby. So if you are worried about an infant checklist, worry no more because this comprehensive post will enlighten you.
Therefore, let us look at a list of newborn products that can make your daily life with your baby much easier.
What Is a Newborn Checklist?
A newborn checklist is a list of items you require to set before welcoming your baby to the world. These are usually necessities and helpful gears for the baby, such as nursery essentials, clothing, diapering, and bathing essentials, among many other essentials.
The Ultimate Newborn Checklist: Newborn Baby Essentials
Below is an ultimate checklist of newborn essentials that can make your life and that of your newborn easier:
You must understand that baby clothes are usually organized in the category of sizes, especially by age. From newborn, three months, six months, nine months, to twelve months. However, this rolls down to a brand preference since different brands do things differently, and feature a significant comparison for sizing. Therefore, when searching for newborn clothes, ensure you consider those with height and weight guidelines to assist you in getting a great fit. You must also consider exceptional brands of baby clothing.
Remember, not all babies need the newborn size of clothes, which means three months’ clothes can fit them excellently. You must understand that this is hard to predict, and it is good to buy newborn clothes. You must also purchase outfits for the next size up because babies grow very fast. Secondhand clothes will save you big time since you will buy various and have multiple clothing sizes to select from.
Without further ado, find durable, roomy, and soft clothing. Select quality items that can withstand regular washing. On the other hand, do not buy ribbons, tassels, and dangling strings because they are harmful to babies. Organic baby clothing does not feature harsh dyes or harmful chemicals, but they are costlier. Ensure you use baby-friendly laundry detergents that are gentle to avoid skin irritation.
Top 10 best must-have baby registry
Here are clothing basics your baby will require in every size:
- Nightgown or pajamas- Most parents usually love nightgowns for their newborns. In contrast, others prefer the flexibility of switching Pj bottoms damp pair without any alteration at the top. On the other hand, some parents prefer using nightgowns at night and during the daytime. Do not buy a baby nightgown that features many snaps. And also, avoid sleepwear that is difficult to put on and off. Newborns require at least 5-7 nightgowns or pajamas.
- Booties or socks- Babies need approximately 5-7 socks. Fortunately, the baby booties, shoes, socks, and are never expensive, and you can get multiple of them. It is easy for these socks to get lost, and you might be needed to replace the lost ones several times.
- Outer layers- Find at least 3-5 sweatshirts, fleece jackets, and zip-up sweaters, which are simple to take off and put on. Remember, Fleece jumpsuits are usually warm and cozy. In addition, they are also easy to take off. Purchase larger sizes with armholes that are loose to avoid fussing and tugging.
- Hats- Weather and season are determinant factors for selecting an incredible baby hat. During winter, buy a warm hat, which can also cover the ear, while during sunny days, opt for a wide-brimmed sun hat.
- Bodysuits- Also called onesies, they are baby shirts, usually long-sleeved or short, which you can pull over the baby’s head and then snap under your diaper. It has a stretchy neckline, making it easy for you to pull down your baby’s bodysuit and not pull over your baby’s head. Buy at least 5- 7.
- Stretchy pants or leggings- With leggings, you can easily change dirt clothing without switching the entire outfit. You must understand that an elastic waistband has the potential to fit the baby’s belly easily as well as the diaper. Additionally, the more your baby gains weight, the more the waistband expands. Try and purchase 5 to 7 stretchy pants and leggings.
- Sleepers- These are pajamas for babies, suitable for playing and sleeping. Sleepers are convenient because most babies snap often. Ideally, please choose the one that zips down from the front and down the leg to enable you to change diapers easily.
- Diaper cover- Suppose your baby goes pant free or wears a dress during summer. Make sure you cover her with an attractive diaper cover to offer your baby a great touch.
- Hair accessories- Babies feature very little hair. Thus, ensure you buy at least a colorful bow or hairband to enhance the baby’s cuteness. Avoid buying scratchy or tight hair accessories.
- Leg warmers- Leg warmers look outstanding with dresses. Furthermore, they offer the baby warmness, and when changing the baby’s diapers, it does not easily come off.
- Shoes- The baby’s shoes usually look adorable. It is recommended that you purchase hard-soled shoes during their first year. According to some experts, you should wait until your baby becomes a stronger walker since shoes sometimes interfere with development and growth.
- Special outfit- Your baby needs outfits for special events, such as Halloween, holidays, or weddings. Parents also dress up their babies for photoshoots. If the occasion is not around the corner, wait until it is close and purchase the outfit.
- Diaper- In a day, the baby must go through the diapers at least 10 to 12 times a day. Therefore, ensure you plan excellently by buying a stock of the best diapers for the family and, if you prefer using disposable diapers. Commence with a small pack to see how it reacts with your baby’s skin or not.
- Changing pad or table- When the baby is young, you frequently change diapers. Therefore, a changing pad or changing table will make it easier and more comfortable for you to change diapers.
- Diaper bag- Find a remarkable big diaper bag that can carry bottles, baby clothes, wipes, and diapers. Ensure you go through a list of what you can carry in your diaper bag.
- Diaper rash cream- This cream will help you prevent diaper rash or even manage them if they occur.
- Baby wipes- Baby wipes are a product of rayon fibers, wool, cotton, or polyester products. You only use diaper wipes once. Bear in mind that they are sold in a package and feature a dispenser, making it convenient. Choose unscented diapers to avoid irritating the skin of your baby.
- Diaper pail- A diaper pail offers your house a great smell. You must know that some brands function excellently for disposable diapers while some for cloth.
- Diaper sprayer- This is an excellent accessory if you are utilizing cloth diapers. It connects to the toilet’s water supply line, which allows you to rinse poop from the cloth diaper to the toilet. However, before purchasing one, ensure your plumbing system can accommodate one.
- Baby wipes warmer- Warm wipes usually ease cold wipes, especially on a bare tushie at midnight.
- Play-yard- Your baby can use a play yard at night because it incorporates a place where your baby can play while traveling or at home, making it safe. Bear in mind that play yards feature an in-built diaper table for changing, storage space, and a removable bassinet.
- Car seat- It is a must you choose a safe car seat. You can select a convertible or infant car seat for your baby. You might be hesitating about buying a car seat. However, you must also understand that safety regulations have undergone many changes over the years now. Therefore, you have no option but to buy one that meets all the guidelines.
- Stroller- When taking the bay around, you need a stroller to make movement easy. You need to decide whether you need a jogging stroller, a double stroller for two babies of a similar age, an everyday stroller, or a lightweight stroller. Ensure you choose the perfect stroller that suits your needs.
- Baby carrier- If you want your baby close to you while working with your hand free, opt for a baby sing, wrap carrier, and baby carrier.
Baby gear extras
- Car window sun shades- Protects the baby’s skin and eyes from sun glare.
- Glider or rocking chair- A glider is a comfy chair for rocking the baby. It is efficient during the first year of night feedings and waulkings. The baby can also use it when listening to bedtime stories.
- Baby floor seat- This seat assists babies in sitting up while playing with their toys. It allows the mother to attend to house chores without worrying about the baby as long as they are packed in the seat.
- Stroller rain cover- A stroller rain cover shields the baby from rain and wind.
- Stroller sack- Suppose you reside in a cold climate. Sleeping bags such as sacks will keep your baby warm when you are outdoor with your stroller.
- Baby backpack- When your baby is around 5 to 6 months, you can invest in a baby backpack if you are a traveler or hiker. It will enable you to move without difficulties since both of your hands will be free.
- Travel system- This gear includes a car seat base, an infant car seat, and a stroller. However, you can buy this product separately, but most mothers love coordinating products.
- Baby monitor- A baby monitor allows you to maintain your baby’s tabs when you are not home or in another room. Besides, you can select a wearable monitor, an expensive video, or a basic audio model. Remember, several monitors usually use the phone as the viewing unit. However, you can purchase monitors using a distinct parent unit.
- Baby swaddle- Newborns love being swaddled. Therefore, having 5 to 6 baby swaddles can make your life better. You can also find swaddling blankets for covering your newborn while breastfeeding.
- Wearable blankets- These are sleep sacks made of cotton or fleece. You zip them over the babies sleeping gown and keep them warm during cold or the entire night. It is good to have at least 2 or 3. A few of these wearable blankets are suitable for swaddling. They feature flaps, which you can use to fold the baby’s arms.
- Bassinet- This tool is incredible for keeping your newborn close to you when sleeping. In addition, It is safe to keep your baby close during the first few months. Set it beside your bed to make check-ins, diaper changes, and night feedings easier.
- Crib mattress- Move the baby to a crib mattress after outgrowing the bassinet. Ensure you buy it early and set it up for use.
- Bedding- There are multiple bedding sets in the baby stores. However, you only require 3 to 5 fitted crib sheets. And a few crib mattress pads that are washable. Moreover, a few of these beddings are usually waterproof. Do not put soft blankets, quilts, and pillows in your baby’s crib since they cause accidental suffocation and maximize SIDS risks.
- Sound machines- Most babies fall asleep and sleep better with sound machine music in the background.
- Nightlight- Suits the baby in the darkroom and offers you sufficient light for changing diapers at night, but ensure you keep this light dim for your baby.
Bottle-feeding and breastfeeding
- Bibs- Purchase at least 8 to 10 bibs even before the baby commences to eat food. It is better to buy bibs and maintain the dryness of his clothes, more so if he spits or even drools.
- Burp clothe- You need to have at least 6 to 12 burp cloths to wipe baby fluids and catch spit-up
- Feeding pillow or nursing- It is meant to support the baby when bottle feeding or nursing. On the other hand, they also help mothers avoid straining their necks and shoulders. They are more convenient and keep your baby in an excellent position, unlike regular pillows.
- Nursing cover- It covers you and your baby when nursing outdoor. Some of these covers act as infant car seat covers.
- Breast milk bags- Nowadays, you can pump milk directly into the bottle and use breast milk bags for storage. These bags do not consume a lot of space and defrost quickly. The number of times you bump determines the number of bags you require but start with at least a box.
- Breast pump- A breast pump lets you pump breast milk and feed your newborn. It is efficient like a double electric pump or basic manual breast pump since it allows you to pump from every side continuously.
- Nursing pads- When nursing, your breast are likely to leak, and reusable or disposable nursing pads can keep your shirt dry.
- Nursing bras- You need to buy around 2 to 3 nursing bras and avoid using your regular bras. Furthermore, your breast has changed and requires a varying fit to be comfortable. Nursing bras enable you to breastfeed your baby quickly.
- Nipple cream- It helps relieve and minimize sore nipples.
Bottle feeding supplies
- Insulated bottle carrier- You can opt for insulated carriers for ½ a dozen or a single bottle. It keeps milk cool and warm when you are on the move.
- Bottle brushes- Efficient for scrubbing crevices in nipples, bottle parts, and bottles.
- Formula- Suppose you do not want to breastfeed. There are many infant formulas in the market, but ensure you find a remarkable formula brand and converse with your provider. Make sure you have sufficient formula for several weeks.
- Bottles- 6 to 12 bottles are ideal for your baby. Remember, newborns usually commence with a baby bottle of 4-0unce. When the baby begins to drink more, you will need a baby bottle of 8-ounce. Ensure you buy multiple nipples and bottles.
- Cold or warm gel packs- You should have around 3-4 packs. They usually fit appropriately in your bra and soothe sore or swollen breasts. When you require formula or take breast milk, ensure you tuck cold packs in your insulated bag.
- Bottle warmer- Consider a bowl with warm water to heat the breast milk bottle or formula, but a bottle warmer is much better.
- Bottle sterilizer- Use a bottle sterilizer to disinfect bottles, among other baby supplies. It uses UV light or steam to disinfect.
- Dishwasher basket- This product is for keeping small items in your dishwasher, such as the bottle parts.
- Bottle-drying rack- Is usually used to dry sippy cups, teethers, pacifiers, and nipples.
A baby of 6 months is ready to commence consuming solid food. Thus, with feeding supplies, you will find transitioning easier:
- Waterproof bibs- Helps you collect falling food because they have pockets. Buy at least 5 to 10 of them.
- Sippy cups- You need at least 3 to 5 sippy cups, which come with a spout and lead to enable your baby to drink easily. Cups with handles will be simple for your baby to handle.
- Baby spoon- Since your baby’s gum is soft. It would help if you bought him a plastic spoon. It should also be small enough to reach your mouth comfortably.
- Bowls- You need 2-3 bowls. Most mothers choose those that feature a suction cup at the bottom and have the potential to stick on a highchair tray. Besides, buy unbreakable bowls.
- Highchair- It is appropriate that you purchase a chair that hooks on your table or counter. Remember, a high chair with a tray is usually easy to clean. Find the one that comes with a seat cover to make cleaning easy.
Feeding solids extra
- Baby food maker- It is for making the baby’s food
- Mess mat- You can place it under the baby’s highchair to make cleaning easy and protect the floor.
- Washcloth- Ensure that you have at least 4 to 6 washcloths. Divide every washcloth with its purpose, such as changing diapers, and ensure you store them separately.
- Infant bath towels- It is suitable for wrapping babies after bath
- Shampoo and soap- Choose shampoo and soap that is baby-friendly. Furthermore, opt for brands without fragrance to avoid phthalates in your soap or shampoo.
- Baby bathtub- Bathing your child will be easy with an excellent bathtub. Bear in mind that most bathtubs are designed to take your baby up to a year old.
Bathing or showering extras
- Bath toys- Float on water and give your baby a fantastic showering experience.
- Bath thermometer- It is unnecessary, but it is good for testing bathwater
- Baby entertainment, toys, and soothers
- Books- You can introduce your baby to reading by using chunky board books, vinyl or cloth books
- Toys- Invest in soft and musical toys
- Bouncer seat- This seat bounces down and up whenever the baby moves. It comes with attaching straps, which makes it convenient.
- Pacifiers- They act as baby soothers, but they are not a necessity
Baby entertainment extras
- Toy basket- Stores toys and the babies’ playing materials when not in use. Ensure that these storage boxes are secure and that your baby can easily access them.
- Activity center- This is where older babies are kept, and they start experiencing various activities and being attached to toys. It maintains your baby’s interest as he develops.
- Playmat- Features baby toys and is efficient for babies who are not mobile and love toys. These mats produce sounds and light.
- Baby swing- A baby swing is ideal for a baby who loves being moved. Furthermore, a freestanding baby swing offers your baby a rhythmic motion. There are different types of baby swings, such as battery-powered and electric.
- Mobile- A colored mobile makes perfect entertainment for your newborn. Besides, some feature nightlights while some play music. However, when the baby reaches five months, get rid of the mobile.
When your baby starts to toddle, crawl and roll, you need to get familiar with the dangers of the household to keep your baby safe. Below are several safety tools that will assist you in protecting your baby against multiple hazards:
- Wall anchors an anti-tip- This prevents your baby from pulling furniture and television when playing around your house.
- Toilet seat locks- Babies can easily drown. Thus, it is good to keep them and their toys out of their toilet by using a toilet seat lock.
- Drawer latches and cupboard- Choose the one with the potential to withstand the toddlers’ trials
- Outlet covers- Babies are easily attracted to the exposed outlet, and it is good that you cover them
- Safety gates- Suppose your house has stairs. You must invest in safety gates for the bottom and top. Use the gate to block off dangerous areas such as the kitchen and bathroom.
Baby emery board, nail file, clippers, and scissors- These tools assist you to smooth and trim the nails of your baby safely.
Humidifier- It assists you in easing congestion. It also helps chapped dry skin by adding moisture to your baby’s hair. Clean this machine regularly to avoid molds in your baby’s hair.
Baby soft-bristled hairbrush- Great for handling cradle cap
Laundry detergent baby-friendly- Choose the gentle one on the skin, like those from sensitive skin brands.
Teething toys- These help the baby ease discomfort when teething
Nasal aspirator- This tool allows you to clear the baby’s stuffy nose
First-aid kit- Features healthy and safety products you might require if your baby gets injured or sick, such as bandages, antiseptic ointment, and thermometer. It might also come with a hairbrush or nail clipper.
Newborn Checklist Templates & Examples
Newborn Checklist Template (Word)
Newborn Hospital Checklist (Excel)
Expectant mothers love waiting to purchase shopping for babies until they know the baby’s gender. This usually happens between 21 to 18 weeks. However, a few individuals find out as early as 12 weeks, but you do not have to know the baby’s gender to shop.
There is no specific time when you should commence packing your hospital bag. Therefore, ensure your hospital bag is prepared in advance because the baby can come early or late. It would be better to pack your hospital bag from the 8th month.
The newborn has four basic essential components, such as:
· Thorough and immediate drying
· Skin to skin contact
· Early breastfeeding
· Umbilical cord caring
Within the first month of caring for your newborn, you require:
· Swaddle blankets
As you prepare to welcome your newborn, you will likely concentrate on the newborn and forget about yourself. Therefore, during this time, do not neglect yourself. Remember, you can comfortably take care of your newborn and meet her needs when you have all you need to be attentive and comfortable. The detailed post above will guide you to make your newborn checklist.